While building a simple workflow for a client, I found a head-scratcher – none of the lookup columns in the list are available in a SharePoint Designer workflow.
For example, try setting a workflow variable to a lookup column:
- Create a new action “Set Workflow Variable”
- In the Value section, click fx and select Current Item
- Look for any lookup columns – they’re not in the list
The workaround for this is very simple (and makes me shake my head, it’s a bizarre behavior):
- Data Source: instead of Current Item, select the List by name
- Field: Your look up column
- Return Field as: Lookup Value
- Field: ID
- Value: Current Item:ID
I hope this relieves someone else’s headache!